Friday 26 October 2012

Signing up to the Cubs with Joel 9 who has severe autism

 


Most parents who have a child with a disability would agree with you that they want exactly the same things that a ‘normal’ or ‘neurotypical’ child would have – a term I don’t use as I usually get asked what that means. I want Joel to be included in most things like after school activities which he enjoys so he goes trampolining and loves that and the teacher is very used to kids with special needs so she’s great with Joel. Joel also did his First Holy Communion and was included in the class though he usually went in sang happy birthday when he saw all the candles and a prayer was said by the group. He promptly left with Hazel his carer who was gently moved on by the instructor.

Joel and me on a Cub outing (he's still in his Beaver jumper)
Next stop. To the Cubs. Joel had been in the Beavers and had loved it mainly for sensory reasons when going on outings he likes the mud squishing in his hands and also liked the paint as he smeared this all over the hall much to the dismay of onlooking parents and Beaver leaders no doubt!! His reputation carried itself before him as I was sat down by Jock the Cub leader and his co-pilot lady Cub leader who both looked at Joel and me asking questions about Joel’s needs and mentioning they knew he ‘liked painting’. After ten minutes sitting with them I had to say to them that Joel was sitting really well and that he was doing incredibly well for a child with autism who finds such things as sitting still without yelping a challenge. To this I had blank expressions as Jock admitted he didn’t have a clue about autism. Why should he? It was my job to explain about it but I didn’t have a clue either and I’m Joel’s mother!
Joel in Etchingham where we lived in 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment