Tuesday 18 December 2012

The Nativity Play

 
I was very proud this week of my two year old who made a grand entrance into the pre-school hall as the one and only lamb in the play,  (there were about ten angels so he had a walk on part for sure).


Entering with the three Kings, he proceeded to walk centre stage with thumb firmly in mouth looking at audience with his head slightly cocked to the side wondering what all these people were doing. He certainly was cute personified (sorry if you don't like that word but it's the only one that will fit here).  The audience gave suitable coos and ahhhs when they saw him.


Maximilian acknowledging me in school play

The Kings and lamb then sat to the side of the stage whereupon Maximilian spent most of the time trying to take off his lamb hat which was clearly bothering him as he couldn't really see very much with it on. He eventually managed to take off the hat and decided to ignore  the director  - Head of pre-school teacher directing from the side lines and wonder around the stage while Mary and Joseph were busy concentrating on their lines.


I don't like this hat

It's coming off

Well it's not all about Mary, Joseph is it?


What's all the fuss about?

 

 

 

Not sure if I'm meant to be upstage...

He eventually ended up with Rudolf dancing in a circle and taking no notice of his role as a lamb and had taken half his lamb suit off revealing a Welsh rugby shirt inherited by his cousin so think his popularity was waning at this point.

Dancing with Rudolf with lamb outfit slowly being discarded

I was very proud of the lamb and it made me think back to my role in a nativity play.  I am convinced I was a tree or third pall bearer to the left or some obscure part in a tea towel.  I was also one of the seven dwarfs (Dopey) and remember even then feeling humiliated for not playing Snow White who had ringlets and was a right little madam.  I remember her sniffing her nose at us dwarfs and resembling the character of Miss Piggy more than a caring Snow White. 

I was never to take a stage role in my pre-school career and by the time I got to my convent I did play a protagonist but was a man, so that was even more frustrating as everyone burst into laughter as I entered onto the stage.  I commended myself for not bursting into giggles too as it was very serious business playing an old major and sitting like a man upright and with hands firmly placed on legs when you are sixteen.  It was so hard to keep a straight face I remember now seeing one of the most naughty girls in the school right in the front row desperately trying to make me laugh.

Anyway the pre-school nativity scene was very sweet and the mother of Mary in the play got some good shots of herself with her little daughter.  I asked her later if she played Mary in her school play when she was younger because she looks a bit like I would imagine Mary to look like; dark hair, lovely olive skin and kind face, slim build etc and she said yes she had played Mary!  Her name is Angie and she is one of the nicest mothers in town always friendly and with four kids so don't know how she keeps her patience and smile. Am hoping she secretly shouts at her children otherwise she wouldn't be normal would she.

This traditional nativity scene made a change from my daughter's pre-school performance which made no reference to baby Jesus but was all about a fallen angel.  Very odd play where she played a star.  It was quite comforting to see that things haven't really changed from my day; even my children are following in my footsteps in their bit parts.  Maybe one of  them will get a better role next year.




 

 



No comments:

Post a Comment