Sunday 2 June 2013

Music evokes memories

No other music is more profound to me than Delius 'The Walk to the Paradise Garden' as this was the sound I heard when walking into the church at my father's funeral. 

It was heart wrenching and at the same time a comfort and empowering to hear this music my father so loved.  The music reached a crescendo and it all seemed quite dramatic but I'm sure that's how my father would have wanted it as he loved Delius On hearing the First Cuckoo in Spring.  I love it too and play it to think of him.  This is probably the closest I get to him when I hear this and Gershwin and other music he loved like Holst's Planets. 

The Academy of St. Martin in the Fields – Delius: The Walk to the Paradise Garden (Intermezzo from "A Village Romeo and Juliet")

When I hear music on the radio which my father liked I often think it's a sign.  The biggest sign I had recently of him was when I had an arrival of an old dresser I got off eBay complete with an old newspaper in the dresser drawers from 1971 from Bideford, Devon and there was an advert about Edgehill school which is where my father worked as a bursar in his final post.  He was already retired but they wanted a good bursar in place to troubleshoot for them but he ended up staying longer than planned.   Surely that was a sign?  It's like he's reminding me he's there looking out for me in some way.  It was very coincidental and this dresser had obviously been sitting in a dusty old house for years without being used although I've now painted over it in Farrow and Ball's Cornfield and somehow brought it up to date.  I love it when things like that happen and I'll keep the newspaper in the drawers as somehow it would be sacrilegious to remove them.

Joel loves music and is currently singing a hymn he learnt at Lourdes beginning with Alleluia Praise the Lord which he joyfully sings on his travels.  He also likes Aha 'Take on Me', Alesha Dixon and Pink according to another special needs girl who stays with Joel on overnight respite at High Trees and said to me I should get him these albums of the latter two as he enjoys this music.  When Joel's in bed at night and his music has stopped playing he shouts out 'MUSIC' pronounced 'MUJIC'!   So we have to go upstairs and turn the music back on.  We're trying to teach him to turn the music on himself but patience is a virtue....

Joel enjoyed his half term holiday and always does get so much from seeing all his Grandparents in Cornwall.  His Grandparents make sure he has music by his bed and Mozart is regularly played at bed time.  I wonder what he hears and if it's every pitch of the music as he has perfect pitch and his carer Sinead who is also a singer said they sang together and Joel sang a duet with her and gave her goose pimples as he anticipated her note and matched it perfectly.   Maybe we could find a choir for him or somehow bring this musical side to him out and give it a purpose.  I know he's gifted in this area.  Until we make him a genius for now every time Aha comes on I'll think of Joely and my father when Delius comes on and think how does music evoke so much?

Joel on May half term 2013 Cornwall holiday

 

No comments:

Post a Comment